Back in the South

Packing the house was surprisingly do-able, when I gave myself five days to do the job. Thursday night I felt pretty proud of myself, and only had a few hours of work to finish on Friday before the drive to South Carolina on Saturday. That night Ben didn’t nurse well, but I didn’t think much of it and went to bed feeling fine.

At 2 a.m., I woke with violent chills, body aches, and fever. I had a little cold, but was too sick for a cold. I thought maybe I finally had the swine flu, but no cough or sore throat, so not that.

And then I squeezed my boob. Yep, mastitis… again.

At 4:30-ish, in really rough shape, I called Christopher to get a few phone numbers for me. I wanted to call L&D at UVa to see if I could get a resident to call me in another round of dicloxicillin.

This time, they said no.

I spent the next four hours in misery, waiting for the doctor’s offices to open. I spoke to a midwife at a large OB practice in my area who said to call back Charlottesville, surely my doctor would prescribe something.

I took her advice, and my Cville OB did call me in an antibiotic.

Meanwhile, Christopher checked flights. They were $350 from Atlanta to DCA. But my mom could fly from Charlotte, through Atlanta, to DCA for $68. So, my wonderful mom left Columbia that morning. She drove to Charlotte, flew to Atlanta, then flew to DCA. I thought maybe we’d stick around Arlington for a few days while I recuperated, but since the house was almost completely packed, and my cousin was getting married on Saturday, my mom wanted to start driving back to South Carolina immediately. I picked her up from the airport at 4:30 p.m. It had taken everything in me to get the suitcases in the car, pick up Megan’s records from the elementary school, etc. I drove the 3 minutes to the airport and had never been so happy to see my mother in my life.

She took the wheel, and our plan was to drive a few hours and spend the night at a hotel, so my mom would make it back in time for Miranda’s wedding at 3 p.m. But once the traffic cleared up, and the kids fell asleep, we just kept driving.

We made it back to Columbia at 1:30 a.m. All three kids were awake. My mom had been awake for 20 hours, and I had been awake for 24.

By 2 a.m., we were all asleep.

I spent Saturday and Sunday completely zonked. Ethan helped me a ton, Megan and Gavin played an excessive amount of Wii, and Ben took good naps and enjoyed crawling all over the new hardwood floors.

Today I’m back in the saddle. I’m still tired, but the body aches are just about gone and my boob is back to its normal color.


And thank goodness for my mama.


4 thoughts on “Back in the South

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s