Logan’s Tonsillectomy

I knew Logan’s tonsillectomy would be bad. I thought I was prepared. I stocked the house with Pedialyte, popsicles, applesauce, and ice cream. I made homemade chocolate pudding and 100% juice gelatin. I cleared the calendar for two weeks.

Pre-surgery went smoothly. Everyone was calm, especially Logan.

2015-03-03 10.10.16

Half an hour later, we met him in recovery. He was already screaming. If I could do it over again, I would have insisted they give him stronger pain medication. His IV was still in and all they had given him was Tylenol. I just thought it would take a while for the anesthesia to wear off, and they let us go almost immediately, before he had stopped crying or taken a drink. When he continued to cry all the way home and for hours after we got home, I realized he was in a lot of pain.

After getting a dose of Motrin in him, he calmed down. He ate and drank right away. Popsicles, applesauce. I thought we’d have no problems. Then the first night happened and it was miserable. Every day and night got progressively worse. He ate/drank little on day 2, and nothing on day 3 and 4. Worse, he started spitting out his medicine and any liquids we tried to get in him.

2015-03-06 09.23.04

Finally, on Saturday, he was so miserable and listless, and hadn’t been drinking or peeing. I wanted to just take him to urgent care for fluids, but my friend recommended we go straight to Children’s ER. They tanked him up with fluids and IV meds (morphine and toradol), and after about six hours of that, he gingerly ate some applesauce and drank some melted popsicle. By then, it was so late, and I worried he would regress as soon as we got home, so they decided to keep him overnight.

2015-03-07 20.12.53

2015-03-07 17.25.44

2015-03-07 17.03.57

2015-03-07 16.59.46

The whole next day he refused to eat or drink, including any oral medication we tried to give him, so they kept him a second night. Finally, after the third full day, he was completely off IV medications. He was still not eating or drinking, and spitting out most of his medications, but they had unhooked him from the IV. I was administering all his oral medications. I was tired, and they weren’t doing much. I asked them to give him a bolus of fluid, write me a prescription for Tylenol suppositories, and discharge him. We left around 10 p.m. Monday night.

2015-03-09 08.59.58 (Not touching his tray, again.)

Knowing that he was fully hydrated again gave me peace of mind. He was still in quite a bit of pain but I was less stressed, especially since I had the suppositories. Whenever he was screaming in pain, refusing to take the medicine, I could just say, “You can have the medicine in your mouth or bottom.” You know he was in exceptional pain when he requested the latter option. It was nice to be home, though. The big kids, especially Ben, gave him lots of love.

2015-03-10 10.49.04

2015-03-12 18.25.22

2015-03-12 18.28.47

After a few more days at home, he slowly started eating and drinking again. I’m surprised, though, that the pain lingers. Today, a full twelve days after surgery, he still woke up constantly during the night, and screaming in the morning. He refused to take oral medication at 9 a.m. and chose the suppository option instead. After that kicked in, though, he ate a bowl of oatmeal and sipped juice, so nothing to worry about. It’s just sad he’s still hurting. I finally got a glimpse of his throat for the first time after surgery. It looks beautiful, as far as a wound goes. Nice and smooth and clean. It’s red and raw, though, so no wonder it’s still hurting him. Poor, poor guy. However, when I listen to this pre-surgery video, and remember all the painful ear infections, I know it was the right call.

Thankfully, Christopher was able to work from home during this entire period. Also, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, which meant the big kids could be outside when they weren’t in school. Both blessings have made the experience bearable.

We also had family and friends help. Shay brought me a bag to the hospital so I could change and shower. I was sticky from all the medicine Logan had been spitting at me. Christopher offered to trade me but I just told him to hold down the fort. It was good for the big kids to have some Daddy time. My friend Jess brought us dinner and my visiting teacher Suzy brought me probably $100 in groceries from Costco, including two rotisserie chickens and more popsicles, applesauce, and yogurt. That was wonderful.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s